January 08, 2012
- Website: http://www.ir-amim.org.il/
- Based in Jerusalem.
- Ir Amim’s activities include “Monitoring and exposing critical developments in Jerusalem,” “legal advocacy,” “policy advocacy,” and running highly politicized “tours ” of Jerusalem and the separation barrier.
- Funders include the Ford Foundation, the EU, New Israel Fund, Moriah Fund, Open Society Institute, Norway, the UK (£127,850 in 2008-09), Czech Republic, and the Netherlands. Government funding constituted about 56% of the total budget in 2009.
- The European Commission provided Ir Amim with a three-year, €965,040 grant (through October 2013) for a project entitled “Enhancing Palestinian Civil Society”; also received EU funding in 2004-5 (€475,160) and 2009-10 (€397,839) for projects relating to the “Final Status” of Jerusalem.
- In 2006-2009, the New Israel Fund (NIF) authorized grants worth $1,113,037 to Ir Amim (2006, 2007, 2008, 2009).
- Although it has been described as “work[ing] toward coexistence in Jerusalem,” an Ir Amim official said that the group was “seeking to advance a political agenda, and was not an organization geared to promote coexistence.”
- Ir Amim promotes the Palestinian narrative on Jerusalem, including claims that “government powers are being handed over to the settler organizations” and “archeological digs have become an important tool in the fight for control of [the area around the Old City].”
- David Horovitz, editor of the Jerusalem Post, wrote that the Jerusalem Moments film series, produced by Ir Amim, “contained just about every imaginable one-sided, context-deficient, unbalanced misrepresentation of Israel rolled into one nasty package...a relentless Palestinian Israel-bashing, interspersed with near-relentless Israeli Israel-bashing.”
- Ir Amim minimizes the security threat to Israel, for instance on the Security Barrier: “Ir Amim believes that the Separation Barrier in Jerusalem, as currently planned and implemented by the Government of Israel, is not motivated primarily by security, but rather by the goal of consolidating and strengthening Israeli rule in East Jerusalem and its Palestinian suburbs...Ir Amim opposes this policy, and will act to change it.”
- An Ir Amim blog entry in the Huffington Post (April 27, 2010), appeals to the US Government to, “Threaten [Israel] with severing diplomatic ties. Threaten us with cutting back on, or even cutting off, the annual support package. Bludgeon us over the head and force us to wise up.”
Ir Amim Essentials:
- Gould’s hullabaloo, Editorial, Jerusalem Post, January 6, 2012
- The Amuta episode: The whole truth behind the left-wing group Ir Amim (Hebrew), Arnon Segel, Ma'ariv Zman Yerushalayim, May 16, 2011
- Financing our own demonization, David Horovitz, Jerusalem Post, July 23, 2009