BDS IN THE PEWS
Al-Mezan Center for Human Rights
December 02, 2013
- Website: www.mezan.org
- Based in Jabalia, Gaza.
- Claimed mission: “To provide a secure and long-lasting foundation for the enjoyment of human rights in the Occupied Palestinian Territories (OPT).”
- Core donors (2009) are the NGO Development Center (NDC: Switzerland, Sweden, Denmark and the Netherlands), Norway, Open Society Institute (OSI), and Medico International. As of October 2009, project donors include Diakonia (Swedish government funds), Trocaire, Care International, NDC, OSI, and the European Commission. A grant from the Ford Foundation ended in March 2009.
- Al-Mezan consistently refers to the Israeli army as the Israel Occupation Forces (IOF), erasing the context of Palestinian terror and delegitimizing Israeli self-defense.
- During the Gaza conflict, Al Mezan publicized allegations of “Israeli massacres,” “slaughtering civilians,” “scandalous war crimes,” and “despicable disregard to civilian life.” Hamas’ use of human shields and illegal rocket attacks against Israeli civilians were not condemned.
- Partners with Al Haq and Adalah in promoting lawfare cases against Israeli officials; responsible for the highly publicized “war crimes” case against Ehud Barak in London in September 2009.
- The NGO’s highly unreliable statistics on civilian casualties and building demolitions were cited in the Goldstone report. Al Mezan’s director has also “testified” before UN committees, “especially [about] the willful killing of civilians committed by the IOF [sic].”
- In a November 28, 2013 press release, together with Palestinian NGOs Al Dameer, Palestinian NGO Network (PNGO) and Palestinian Center for Human Rights (PCHR), accused Israel of “systematic policies against the civilian population” and “human rights violations perpetrated by Israeli occupation forces… as a form of collective punishment.”